Work on the refurbishment and restoration of the parish house on the grounds of the Cathedral will begin in the coming week.
Built in 1878, this house, (a listed building), has been home to 64 priests in its 142-year history. In its long history, the house has only been subject to major renovation on one occasion 60 years ago. The current reconstruction is in many ways long overdue and will include; removal of asbestos, re-roofing, insulation, and energy conservation, resolving accessibility issues, upgrading of the Adoration Chapel, and the provision of modern, accessible toilet facilities for use by parishioners attending the Cathedral.
The company awarded the contract for the work, following the tendering process, are Jada Construction. The work is expected to last 44 weeks and is scheduled for completion in July 2021. During this time there will be restrictions on parking in the cathedral grounds and we apologize for any inconvenience.
The priests who currently reside in the parish house, Frs. Tom, Joy, and Dariusz, will relocate while the renovations are taking place but can be contacted at any time through the Parish Office or on their own mobile numbers.
Having foreseen the need for this work, the parish finance committee has been saving and budgeting for it in recent years. We are now in a position to carry out this essential work and we thank all of you, whose support has made it possible.